Friday, May 11, 2012

IVIG

Had my first round of IVIG yesterday. We had to be at the hospital at 645a but unfortunately didn't get started till about 830a. I think they were a little busy and I don't think my orders had come thru correctly so they had to track them down. Basically it was just a looooooong boring day. They gave me benadryl and between that and the early morning, I just kind of laid down in the bed and zoned for hours on end. They were supposed to bump up the rate the IG was going thru the IV every 15 minutes (I started at 30 and could max out at 150) but because they were busy my nurse didn't come by every 15 minutes and I felt a little nauseous at one point so I only ever got up to 140. So I finally got out of there about 815p. Made for a very long day but totally worth it... I'll have to try and remember to take a picture of the IVIG bag... it's huuuuuuuuuge. They had me hooked up to the IVIG bag which held about 1250 ml of IG (which equals about 42 fl oz) and a little bag of saline which was normal sized at about 400 ml (which is only like 13 fl oz). I didn't get much of the saline, altogether I probably had about 47 fl oz added to my body... That's like one and a half large drinks at McDonald's. Oh well, I've heard the repeat times aren't as long, so here's hoping that next week I'm not there 14 hours!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm glad you are blogging all of this. :) Hopefully the next times go better and it just becomes routine!

    ReplyDelete